One of my favorite 1940s dresses - I guess it's time to stop wearing it



I've had this cute 1940s cotton day dress for about 8 or so years. It had some slight fade and a few tiny wear holes when I got it. But it's been a great dress to wear around the house in the Summer. Sadlly, I think that it's now time to fold it up and give it a nice resting place in one of my drawers. I've squeezed all of the life that I can out of it.

The small holes have all gradually gotten bigger and are about 1-2 inches in size now, on the front of the skirt and on the center of the fanny - plus it has some new holes from wash-n-wear. Laying on the floor next to Harlow while she chewed her chewy, she snagged her toe on the bust of the dress and made a 2 inch rip. The waist is ripped out, some holes started on the top of one sleeve, and last night when I took it off, the under arm entirely tore out. The fabric is just all tired out and tearing easily now.

Thank you cute old dress, you've had a good long life and I've enjoyed wearing you.







5 comments:

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

so sad!! I have a great 30's dress that I can't wear anymore for the same reason. Have you thought of salvaging some of that gorgeous fabric and giving it a new life as something else?

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

Do you name your dresses? I do and I would name this one Marge - she's so beautiful - long live Marge:)) xo

Suzanne said...

hahah WE call them "chewies" also! So sad about Marge there

Anonymous said...

perhaps it could live on as an apron? have you ever seen the children's book "joseph had a little overcoat"? great story, about how he starts w/a coat and as it wears out, he makes something "new" from what's left. :)
~k

Graphic design said...

so sad about that dress.. I also have two dresses like that but i do really keep it well because its so precious my grandma gave it to me..even its old already i love that dress just like that kind of dress..