My sewing project - 1930s dress



I used to sew alot. 15 some years ago, before I became a vintage seller, I worked in a fabric store which helped to fulfill my fabric lust. Before that I had even tried to start my own clothing making business and I made alot of my own clothing.
But when you run your own business you suddenly have less free time. And when you handle clothing all day for that business, sewing more clothing isn't a pastime that enters your mind much.
But my purchase last month of the big lot of vintage patterns has inspired me to get back into sewing. Here is my first project. A super cute 1930s dress that will be made with a piece of vintage fabric - navy rayon with white and green design.
So far I have the pattern pieces and the fabric ironed. Let's see how long it takes me to touch the project again!



6 comments:

denisebrain said...

I can reallllly relate, as I used to sew many of my own clothes and now, deeply immersed in vintage clothing, that is less appealing.

But this will be so cute, you must take the next step! I really admired your nothing-new pact a few years ago. If only we all could work with what is already made in the world...

Cranberry Morning said...

I used to sew a lot too, when my kids were younger. And I still have an old Vogue pattern for a dress I made and still love. I'd even make it again if I were shaped like a cigarette instead of a cigar. Love the pattern!

Dandelion Vintage said...

Yes, Wardrobe ReFashion was the project! That was fun. I just read that they are closing down the project. I did very well with the pledge not to buy new, but I didn't get as much sewing finished as I wanted to.

Lizzie said...

I love the pattern, with the raglan sleeves and that inverted pleat. You must keep us informed of your progress.

After years away for sewing, I started back about 2 years ago. And while I don't sew as much as I'd like, I find that I
m really enjoying it. I only use vintage patterns. Right now I'm working on a 1970s dress.

One Second Needle said...

I enjoyed your post about the 1930's dress. I also think the vintage pattern you are considering is quite "inspiring." Great post!

Anonymous said...

I just added this site to my google reader, excellent stuff. Can not get enough!