A little shopping and a rag rug project

On Thursday I took a day off from vintage and went out to do some shopping. The goal was to get some Christmas presents, which I did, but I also bought some things that I needed too. First, I needed a new comforter. Mine was pretty old and the patchwork cover that I had made for it several years ago was now shreaded. I've been using it inside of a pretty plisse duvet cover. I didn't buy a new comforter, but I did get the perfect bedspread!
It is a quilted soft sage green with flowers in pink. Very vintage looking. It wasn't until I got it home that I realized how well it was going to go with the rest of the bedding.
My current bed is old and an odd 3/4 size. So I have a pink and white vintage Bates spread (love them!) thrown over the bed and it hangs to the floor on each side. Now my new green floral quilt lays over the pink spread about midway down. My plisse-duvet (oui-oui) is folded at the end of the bed. The 3 of them look very pretty together.
I'm a cheater when it comes to bed-making. I'll be sleeping on top of the green and pink spreads with the fluffy duvet and a micro chenille blanket on me. In the morning, I only have to fold the duvet and put it at the bottom of the bed, the rest is already made!


Next, I needed a few pairs of non-jean-pants to wear to my part time job. Check out these cute pants that I found at TJ Maxx. They are navy, some kind of soft fabric, with decorative buttons down the front-sides, which remind me of sailor pants. They have a nice wide leg too, which doesn't show well in this photo. They are made by Dalia and were only $19.99.
I did get a few presents for the grandmoms and my mom & Dad, so it wasn't a totally selfish shopping trip.




My current crafty project is a braided rag rug. It was inspired by a crochet rag rug that I saw in someone else's blog. But darn, I can't remember which blog* it was, otherwise I would give her a plug here. I thought it would be a great project to use up some of my fabrics and to make a pretty rug for the kitchen in the cottage. Here is my progress so far. I haven't sewn the braid together yet, it's just layed out in place. I am at a stand still right now because I ran out of matching fabrics! I'd like to still add about another 3 inches to each side, so I'm going to have to wait until I find some more fabrics to match. I'm working with my all time favorite color green of course, with some light yellows and pinks. It's kind of funny because many years ago my Mom made braided wool rugs. Here's a close up of the pretty colors and prints from my rug -

Bye for now, Carol

*I found the blog that was my original inspiration for trying to make a rag rug - Vintage Chica - There are instructions for cutting fabric, which I used to get the most strips of fabric without sewing or knotting the pieces together. Her instructions are for crochet and I can't crochet, so I just started braiding 3 fabric strips together instead . Thank you Vintage Chica!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol, I love thos "jeans", they are just what I am looking for. We have a TJ Maxx over here, it called TK though, HAHAHA! but you know they are like, you never know what you might find there and no 2 shops will have the same things. Maybe I will check out ebay. I have been thinking lately how I would like to make a rag rug. I am going to look around the net and see if I can find some detailed instructions. Oh by the way, I LOVED the package you sent to Alison, that was such a lovely thing to do.

Anonymous said...

wow, just realised how terrible my typing was there! I was going to fast, sorry! hehehehehe!

Dandelion Vintage said...

Hi Kelly,
The pants are really comfortable. They were on there one rack, so they weren't mixed in with other pants, they must have been fresh stock. I found the blog that inspired the rag rug and I added it to the post. She also has links to other rag rug info in her blog post.
I had fun doing the package for Alison. I've 'known' her for a few years now. I thought it was a big deal when I moved 1 hour away from the town where I loved my whole life last year. But now I have much admiration for Alison's brave move to faraway lands!

Anonymous said...

So glad you could use part of the little tute I put together. Your rug is wonderful!