Photos of my Grandmom

My grandmom Hazel Rachel Redrow Baker passed away on 5/23/11 at the age of 96. She was born in Woodbury Heights NJ and then lived in Deptford NJ for most of the rest of her life. She married Samuel Baker in 1934 and they had 3 children. They lived in their Deptford home for 68 years, until my grandpop's death in 2003. She attended the New Sharon Methodist Church for over 80 years.
I was very lucky to have lived 35 years of my life with my Grandparents living right behind me on the next street. They were very sweet, good old fashion people. They worked hard and were very devoted to their family and their church.


Below are some old photos that I scanned to be used in a Memorial Board at her funeral.



Grandmom, left, with a friend in the 1930s


Below, Grandmom & Grandpop's 25th anniversary. My Dad, looking cool in a striped jacket, his sister Doris and baby sister Joan. My Dad's sisters were born 20 years apart.



Below is Grandmom in the chair with cousin Asa Redrow.



Below is the house in Woodbury Height where Grandmom was born. The house still stands at the bottom of Chestnut Hill.



Happy little Grandmom



Baby Grandmom with her parents and her sisters Edna and Gertrude.



Grandmom and Gladys in the flowers.



7 comments:

BaronessVonVintage said...

what a beautiful tribute to your grandmother! So sorry for your loss...what a blessing she had such a long full life. I was so close with my grandparents as well and think those of us who grew up with wonderful grandmothers in our lives are so blessed!

Holly said...

Hi Carol--my deepest condolences. I'm really sorry. My grandmothers were to me and when they passed, I remember it being a very difficult time.

I like to think yours would be so very proud of you!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for sharing such a personal memory! I miss my Mema everyday!

Anonymous said...

I feel very sorry to read that your grandmother was passes away, I must say that she was looking very quite, I also let you know that your father also looking very nice and cool, and most of all I want to give you thousand thanks for sharing the article and the pictures, the article as well as the pictures are awesome, when I saw the picture named "Happy little Grandmom", I am reminiscing my childhood and the other pictures like the collection of vintage textiles, the pictures from 1936 Vogue Pattern Book.and specially the picture of Boris infront of your house, really touched my Heart.
Thank you very much to you and I highly appreciate your effort.

Lisa said...

I'm sorry for your loss... what beautiful family photos!

Anonymous said...

your grandmother sounds like a wonderful lady. i still miss mine, so i know it's hard.
deepest sympathy,
kelly

Angela said...

So sorry to hear about this. She sounded very special. It's so nice to know that you got 35 years with her though. My thoughts are with you....xoxo