Ribbon Art Ladies

Ribbon Ladies or Ribbon Dolls was a once popular crafting project and I've seen examples from the 1920s to the 1940s. I'm a big fan of Ribbon Dolls and always wanted to try one myself. The face and any showing skin was typically paper and their clothing was made from old fabric and ribbon scraps, and in some cases silk flower petals. They were mounted on a fabric background and framed. I don't actually own any example myself - No, I can't believe it either! It's because I'm not the only fan of ribbon dolls and I usually get outbid on any fabulous ones that I see on ebay. Here are a few examples of Ribbon Dolls that I spotted on ebay today - click the images to see the auctions.



Here are two really, really fabulous examples. The girl in the ruffle skirt is an elaborate example with layers of ribbon making up her skirt. The smoking lingerie gal actually doesn't use very much fabric at all, but she is really great! She looks like she has some mohair hair too. I love her!




You know that I'm a fan of half dolls, and I found this exotic parrot holding beauty on ebay today too. She's really amazing and of course, out of my price range.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! These are so lovely and inspiring! I'm a fan of the half-dolls too; I just wish I could get my hands on one because I'd love to make one up into a pincushion! :) Thanks for posting these inspiring images...

amy boras said...

loving the half dolls too. i purchased my first about 5 years ago and have collected a few more over the years. she is a great one.

Anonymous said...

I love the half dolls too. They are so pretty to have setting around the bedroom.

Anonymous said...

Wow glad I found your blog!!