Vogue September 15th, 1954


I've been gazing through old magazines again. Even though I prefer looking at fashions of the 1930-40s, I think 1950s Vogues are my favorites to look at, because of the great photo layouts and because you recognize so many familiar clothing designers and brands. Here are some scans from September 15th 1954 Vogue, with some familiar names.
To the left is Lilli Ann, and in many of the early 1950s Vogues that I have, you can usually find the Lilli Ann ad on page two for some reason. I guess they paid for that placement. Look at that waist! Retail was $70 for this dress.

Below is an armfull of purses by Roger Van S. Not really a well known name, but look at those fabulous bags - I'll take one of each. This is the kind of big bag that I like, not like those big hideous, overpriced designer bags that still seem to be the big trend.
Next is that go-to name for a classic Cocktail/Party Dress - Suzy Perette - which was a company, not an actual gal, that used to send it's designers to Paris to copy the runway looks, to produce much more affordable versions in the US. This dress retailed for $69.95.

Sophie (look at those fab buttons) & Desses (that's alot of gown to steam, sorry, I'm thinking like a vintage clothing seller prepping a gown for sale)


Mollie Parnis and look at the corset waist on that Howard Greer!!
The Greers retailed for $198 and $165

And two ads featuring dresses for Ceil Chapman. Original retail for the 2nd dress was $110







2 comments:

Amy said...

I just love looking at old catalogues, ones from the 1940's 50's and 60's are my faves

Anonymous said...

Wow! You need some serious reconstructing undergarments to go with those dresses! Maybe remove a few ribs.
It's funny to see that Suzy Perette dresses were meant to be inexpensive and now they occasionally go for designer prices on ebay.