1940s Black Wool Button Front Dress


So I've had this dress, that I think is pretty cool, on the website for over a year. It is a 1940s black wool crepe dress with buttons all the way down the front. Very classic styling. So I was thinking, what can I do to make someone else realize what a great dress it is?
Well, first off, it needed a new photo, because it was shown on my old torso form, which really doesn't give dresses much life. So I retook photos of it on the mannequin (she got a hair cut for the new year)
Then I decided to take photos of different things that you can do to change the look of the dress a little. (anything to amuse myself)

First I tied a pink silk scarf around the neck to give it a little color. The neckline is notched, so it looks good up against a contrasting color. Next, I put a blouse with a fancy collar under the dress and left the top few buttons open. The fancy ribbed neckline of this blouse gives the neckline of the dress a different look.



I thought a wide cinch belt would really look great on this dress, and tone down the 1940s style a little, if you wanted to go with a different look. But I didn't have a wide cincher, but this faux leopard fur belt gives it a little funk and fun. Leopard shoes would be great too.
Then I tried the dress topped with a fitted jacket, cinched at the waist with a solid black belt. Now see, isn't this a great dress?




See the 1940s Black button front dress here .
The blouse #TOP-189- Ivory nylon with ribbed collar - $20.00.
And #VC-679- Brown & Black herringbone wool jacket - $32.00.

3 comments:

miss vintage love said...

oooh I love it, how did I not see this before??!!

Alison said...

I've always loved the simplicity of dresses like this. Every vintage gal should have a similar one in their wardrobe.
Happy New Year my friend.

Amy said...

I love this dress, very classy unfortunately I've got a pear shaped figure and it probably wouldn't look right on me...