It was good to be a girl in 1961

We came across a magazine called 'Teenagers Ingenue' from November 1961 while digging through old family papers and photos. Old mags are always fun to look at and this one had two items that made me laugh. The first was an add for Midol. Poor Sally is blue until Midol comes along, Oh, Thank goodness. Have you seen that commercial that says 'Have a happy period' ? Everytime I hear it, I want to punch my fist through the TV.

The other is 'Be Thankful You're a Girl!' Oh, to be a girl in 1961 - some examples - 'you don't have to be an athlete or a brain' - 'No one minds if you're illogical or even scatterbrained once in a while' - 'you don't have to carry heavy suitcases' - 'no one expects you to have a sense of direction' - 'there will always be a boy who says that you are his idea of heaven' - and 'you smell good' among many others. Click image to see larger view which should be readable.




1 comment:

Amy said...

That's funny, sometimes I look through my old magazines and books and they have very similar ideas in them too, I guess womans lib wasn't around much then...